Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: installing TFmail.pl  (Read 5028 times)

Offline madcat11

• Spacescooter Operator
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 06:47:42 PM »
Oh, fogot to mention that line 52 in tfmail is just:

"use NMStreq;"

Offline madcat11

• Spacescooter Operator
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 06:48:54 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention that line 52 in tfmail is just:

"use NMStreq;"

Priest

installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 07:10:17 PM »
@INC is the include path that perl searches for to find modules (modules are like libraries of code).  That is basically saying that either the folder /home/earthd2/tfmail/lib doesn't exist or the file NMStreq.pm is not located in that directory.

One of our other users posted a wonderful how-to on setting up and installing TFMail.  You can take a look at it here: http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12593

May give you some good starting point

Offline madcat11

• Spacescooter Operator
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2004, 08:46:17 PM »
I'm correcting my code with the post you suggested and its very helpful and I'm loving the explanation (it's very simple to follow, for the most part) up to the part where he "fires up the Configuration editor" - there he's lost me. (or, rather, tf has....)

Here' what is said:

"Fire up the Configuration Editor by browsing to /cgi-bin/TFmail_config.pl. Create a new config called "test" and click the Create button.

Using the Configuration Editor creates a config file with inline templates. The first text box is the main configuration information. Here's my config info: "

...what is he talking about? My *.pl files are in scgi-bin, first of all - which I guess is okay... but an "Editor"

I can create a text file just about anywhere and make it a trc or configuration file. Is that what is meant? Or is this something I'm missing altogether in cpanel?

I will make up a configuration file using a text editor and try to follow the rest of the explanation, but this one thing really bugs me.

can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Priest

installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2004, 08:50:26 PM »
In CPanel, there is an option to create a new file in the File Manager, I believe that is what he is referring to.  You can alternatively use a text editor like notepad and create the file and upload it to the server that way.  I will edit the how-to and clear that up, thanks for letting me know about it  :D

Offline madcat11

• Spacescooter Operator
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2004, 09:00:39 PM »
ah, yes, I see it now - I wasn't looking at the bottom of the filemanager, only up at the top where the "create New Folder" option is..
sorry..
and thanks for pointing this out to me.
[continuing to try this out....]

Priest

installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2004, 09:04:29 PM »
No worries, I was editing that how to and noticed by config editor he was referring to another perl script that is included with the TFMail.  its tfmail_config.pl.  This will generate a default template that you can modify for your site.  You can choose to use the text editor in File Manager or use the config editor and then edit the file that it creates.  Either way you are most comfortable with

Offline madcat11

• Spacescooter Operator
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2004, 09:13:30 PM »
Okay, this is going to sound really lame, but what do you mean by

"use the config editor and then edit the file that it creates. "

..just so I know (I know it's prob'y a perl thing, right?).
Thanks

Priest

installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2004, 09:15:48 PM »
when you run the script /cgi-bin/TFMail_config.pl it creates a default template file.  Using the File Manager, locate the file that it makes and click on the name of the file.  Over on the right side, you'll see something that says edit file.

Offline madcat11

• Spacescooter Operator
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2004, 10:08:54 PM »
another lame thing:

'run the script' ? where? I guess it's been too long since I've written code in an editor, which had a nice button (or menu item with a keyboard shortcut) that said "RUN"
 :oops:

Priest

installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2004, 10:13:14 PM »
Generally when you 'run a script' referring to a web-based script that means to save the file and then open a browser window and point it to where the file is.

example:
I have just got done editing test.pl.  test.pl is in my cgi-bin directory.  I open a web browser and go to mydomain.com/cgi-bin/test.pl.

Web programming can be a bit of a pain, not like compiled programs that are local  :D

Offline madcat11

• Spacescooter Operator
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2004, 10:30:54 PM »
cgi-bin is in public_html, right? as is scgi-bin?

well, I tried what you said, went to http://mydomain/cgi-bin/tfmail_config.pl

.... and it cannot find the file.

I have copies of both tfmail.pl and tfmail_config.pl in scgi-bin and cgi-bin .......
and I think my brain is turning to mush. I have no idea where to turn now.

.you say: "I open a web browser and go to mydomain.com/cgi-bin/test.pl."

this is going to sound really weird, but it's after midnite here, and I've been working on this since 6pm, but .......... what do you do when you get all that typed into your browser's url place? You hit enter? That runs it?

Priest

installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2004, 10:34:57 PM »
Yes, the cgi-bin folder is inside the public_html folder.

Right, press enter and when the webserver opens that page, it runs the script.  I understand what you mean, it's after midnight here too....and I've been awake since yesterday afternoon ;)

Offline trebormojo

• Galactic Royalty
    • http://www.arts-design-team.com
installing TFmail.pl
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 05:22:25 PM »
I've been using the formail compact version from the SF site and may have found a small glitch, well, not glitch, just something weird. If I set a variable up as "title" such as a business title, it won't send it with the rest of the form to my email. I named it "name2" and it worked fine.

May help if someone has the same problem, no big deal, though.