Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: cPanel Server Status Feature  (Read 16087 times)

Offline Jay

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
cPanel Server Status Feature
« on: February 27, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »
Hello,

I would like to take this opportunity to give a bit more information about the cPanel option, that is available which shows Server Status.

Essentially, this option is far from accurate in the best of times.

This feature of the cPanel interface is not something we should be relying upon when we think of network status.  It does not accurately depict the actual server information.

Example: there is a listing for Server Load.  Currently, on my own server it is showing a load for the server in red.  Now, you're first thought might be:

"Oh no! its High there must be a problem" Right?  

Well not exactly.  The numbers are not correct; In fact they are completely wrong.  It is reporting numbers for a single CPU even though the indication is

Server Load   7.78 (4 cpus)

So essentially, IF this were accurate, which I can't stress enough, it is not.  The number (7.78) would need to be divided by 4.

Then you have the situation regarding memory used.  Again, FAR from accurate.  It doesn't take into account, that Most servers have at least 4GB of RAM.

Some cPanels, have 'BIND' listed.  That is simply an error in the coding of the cpanel.  I believe it is only 1 .. maybe 2 servers that show this.

As far as disk usage goes, cPanel is not sophisticated enough to compile the information for the disk usage completely.  There is no way we would allow a disk partition to reach 99.9999% capacity.  This is something that would be addressed long before it happens.  

With our new disk management system, this cPanel feature will most certainly be reporting some odd, very inaccurate numbers.

Now, I believe I have addressed the most important discrepancies with this feature.  Please remember as well, we have technical staff monitoring the servers 24/7; if anything is noted as high or they see a situation needing attention, the technical staff is on top of it, and will resolve it as quickly as they can.  

If you have any questions, feel free to address them.

- Jay