Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: TWebman's Custom email Scripts  (Read 4685 times)

Offline aqui_es1

• Intergalactic Cowboy
TWebman's Custom email Scripts
« on: February 15, 2004, 02:57:23 PM »
Hi!  
First, I'd like to say that TWebman is a really great help to have created some automated processes for creating simple email scripts.

I'm very happy to see your help.

I want to use the simple email script for a form that just directs the user to a webpage.

My question is, is there anyway to have the user's correct email display to me when they submit the form?  Sometimes, they may not type their email address correctly in the fields we provide on our forms.

The second question is, in your custom scripts, the additional Fields you offer, how do they work with my Form?  Do I have to make them look like my form?

Third question is, I will have several forms on my website for customers to submit.  If I Save and name the script mailer.pl, how could I use my other forms with this one email script?  Would I need to create a different script for every form?

I think that's all I need to understand for now...

Thanks Again!  TWebman, you are a great asset to Lunarpages and for us! :yey:

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 03:02:14 PM »
My question is, is there anyway to have the user's correct email display to me when they submit the form? Sometimes, they may not type their email address correctly in the fields we provide on our forms.

No, you can't do that on any form. There's no way to find out somebody's e-mail address, so you'll have to trust them to type it correctly.

The other ?'s I'll leave for TWeb since I'm not very familiar with his scripts.

Offline aqui_es1

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 03:04:44 PM »
Cool... the question you answered for me was the most important one.

Thanks and I'll wait for TWeb's replies.

Sincerely,
Erick

Offline TWebMan

• Quantum Encyclopedia Writer
    • Take charge of your site
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 04:30:36 PM »
1.  You can't 'capture' a person's email address, as mussavcom said.  My next version will feature a check so that at least it's a valid address.  Something similar to what's at the BYOF form.
If you go to http://twebman.lunarpages.com/perl/  and put in a faulty address.  it'll kick back anything without an @ and at least one dot (.).

2.  Not sure what you mean by 'look like' your form.  If you use one of the more advanced scriptmakers, you can grab the form itself either as a whole web page, or as an html table with the form in it, propely set to use that script.  You can then take that (either the form page or the form) and edit it however you like.  Just don't remove or add fields, and don't rename any.

2a. Remember some of these, depending which script you use, may require hidden fields for subject and/or redirect location.

2b. If you used the simple (BYOF) one, any form will do, as long as the action is set to the script, and the script is properly uploaded and chmoded to 755.  In that script, however, you NEED to have at least a hidden field called "L1" the value of which must be the url you want users sent to.

3.  You can point as many pages as you like to a single script.  If they are going to have different fields, make a BYOF script and point any forms you like to it.

I'm going to rework those script probably within the next month, and they'll have more options.  I'm also trying to make it simpler.  Any suggestions are welcome and will be considered (and probably implemented heheh).
"Computers cause people to make more mistakes than any other invention in history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."  - Unknown
"Liberty of any kind is seldom lost all at once." - D. Hume
Every day is an Ode to Joy
The planet will be fine... and so will your site

leighsww

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 05:15:04 PM »
Quote from: TWebMan
I'm going to rework those script probably within the next month, and they'll have more options.  I'm also trying to make it simpler.  Any suggestions are welcome and will be considered (and probably implemented heheh).

Suggestion 1: Make it automatically chmod to 755 and upload in ASCII!  :)

Suggestion 2: Make it NEVER issue an ERROR message for whatever reason!  :)

Suggestion 3: Make it come with it's own Guardian GURU, so we never have a form issue on this forum ever again!!  :)  

TWebMan - if you can make your script do those 3 things, I will worship you forever (and I know Ed will too!!)!!!  :love:

Offline TWebMan

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 10:02:38 PM »
Quote from: leighsww

Suggestion 3: Make it come with it's own Guardian GURU, so we never have a form issue on this forum ever again!!  :)  

TWebMan - if you can make your script do those 3 things, I will worship you forever (and I know Ed will too!!)!!!  :love:

1.  MAAAAAAXXXXXX!?!?!?!?!?!?!
2. Um.... MAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXX!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

3.  I'm here  :whip:

aqui_es, thanks for the comp, hope they work for you and anybody that uses them.  So, aqui, de donde es?  ;)
"Computers cause people to make more mistakes than any other invention in history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."  - Unknown

leighsww

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 10:48:14 PM »

Yeah, but where were you when we needed you here?  :whip:

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8717&start=0

and here?  :whip:

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9056&start=0

We got their forms eventually working, but took us 7 - 8 pages worth of posts!

No more long vacations on the high seas for you!  From now on, you are the official Head-Honcho Forms GURU (Ed just got demoted)!!

Offline TWebMan

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 11:40:20 PM »
First of all, Ed, you rock ;)

Yeah, but where were you when we needed you here?  :whip:

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8717&start=0

and here?  :whip:

http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9056&start=0

We got their forms eventually working, but took us 7 - 8 pages worth of posts!

No more long vacations on the high seas for you!  From now on, you are the official Head-Honcho Forms GURU (Ed just got demoted)!!

Where was I?  If only you knew...  :o

Anyway, I didn't need to be here.  I see you guys got the nice newbies all straightened out.

Also, whenever I see a post with an entire (what is it, like 30K?) FormMail script pasted into the body, I can only have one reply...

Offline aqui_es1

• Intergalactic Cowboy
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 02:10:22 AM »

1.  MAAAAAAXXXXXX!?!?!?!?!?!?!
2. Um.... MAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXX!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

aqui_es, thanks for the comp, hope they work for you and anybody that uses them.  So, aqui, de donde es?  ;)

Hey TWebMan,

I'm from Guate and grew up in the States...now I'm chillin' in the Big Red...(China ) 8-)

I'll check out the links to the other threads that were given by leighsww.  I'm still a bit confused when using multiple forms though.

Eventually, certain forms would be going to different email addresses, not just one address and not just all email addresses one can point indentify in the email script.

How can I assign a script to a form or two, to go to a one particular email address only while having other forms on the website, being sent to other email addresses.

I'm just trying to balance the workload for proccessing the forms from the site.

Xiexie...means Gracias and Thanks in Chinese  :thumb:

Offline TWebMan

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 09:50:48 AM »
Ah, ok.  Well, the recipient email is hard-coded into the script, and that must remain, because that is one of the main security features of the script, keeping spammers from hijacking it like they do FormMail.

So, yes, if the email containing form field values is going to a different email, that would require a different script.  A different script for each recipient, but any forms that are to send to the same email, can use the same script.

Chillin in China, eh?  Cool.  Gotta make it over that way one day soon :)

leighsww

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 12:07:32 PM »
Quote from: aqui_es1
I'll check out the links to the other threads that were given by leighsww.  I'm still a bit confused when using multiple forms though.

Eventually, certain forms would be going to different email addresses, not just one address and not just all email addresses one can point indentify in the email script.

How can I assign a script to a form or two, to go to a one particular email address only while having other forms on the website, being sent to other email addresses.

aqui_es1 - those other threads may really confuse you because they are super looooong.  If TWebMan's script doesn't do what you need (be able to assign different forms to be emailed to different recipients) then you may want to try the bnbform.cgi script.

You basically configure the "recipient" hidden tag in the hmtl form to a specific email addy.  So, each form can have a different recipient.

Am I reading your post correctly and is this what you are needing?

If it is, then go to bignosebird's site and download the script.  Here's the URL:

http://bignosebird.com/carchive/bnbform.shtml

Then follow the instructions, and if you run into problems, post here and I'll help you.

One last thing, on the bignosebird site there is a sample to see the script in action where he has two recipients in the form where you can click on to select which recipient you want to send the form results to.  Well, if you are only wanting the form sent to only "one" recipient automatically (where the customer doesn't have to select who to send to,) you can just assign the recipient's email addy in the form itself as a hidden tag.

Just thought I'd mention that in case you thought you had to have them check mark the recipient even if you only will be having one (and not two) recipients.  Anyway, once you read the documentation for the script you will get an idea of what you want to use.

leighsww

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 12:10:22 PM »
Quote from: Kata
:cry:

But, Ed, you yourself said that you didn't want the job!!  I was only doing you a favor by demoting you!  Believe me!!  :love:

leighsww

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 12:17:42 PM »
Also, whenever I see a post with an entire (what is it, like 30K?) FormMail script pasted into the body, I can only have one reply...

LOL!  :)   Well, unfortunately sometimes we ask them to post their script because they have things configured wrong inside it (like the path to perl, or once one person forgot to change the script to reflect their domain name and left it as "http://yourdomain.com", etc.)

So, sometimes that's the first place to look when their form is not working (might cut down a few pages to the thread if we can spot that right off :) )

Offline TWebMan

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 01:28:16 PM »
Yeah, I know.  Just wanted to use that pic ;)