Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: How to Set the Contact Address in cPanel.  (Read 10999 times)

Offline Jay

• MR-Disabled
  • Über Jedi
How to Set the Contact Address in cPanel.
« on: February 13, 2004, 11:46:49 AM »
Hello,

Many of you have probably seen this message in bold red text, in the cPanel this week:

No contact email has been set. You will be unable to recieve notifications or reset your password if you do not set a contact email address.[/b]

below this in black bolded text is the following:

Please update your contact information here.

Now the word 'here' is actually a link if you click on it.  and you can enter an email address there.

Best bet is to use an email address you have that is not directly associated to the domain.

- Jay

Offline BlakeEHSO

• Trekkie
    • http://www.ehso.com
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 07:37:26 AM »
Wow!  This is PROFOUNDLY dumb.  It's taken me an absurd amount of time to find out how to change the contact email address, all because Lunarpages doesn't abide by a universal convention to make hyperlinks in blue and underlined.  Rather than continue to confuse your customers, how about just makoing the word "here" in blue and underlined?  I mean, DUH! - otherwise is looks like plain text.

Aside from this moronic move, everything else has been first rate, but since this is there very first thing a newbie to Lunarpages encounters, common sense says FIX IT!!!!!

Blake,  appalled at this.....

stephan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 09:39:01 AM »
CPanel is software made by another company, not lunarpages.

The latest version has this not-very-obvious link in it.

We will pass on your comment to the Cpanel desigers, who will probably change it in the next release.

I'm sorry to hear it took you a look time to change the e-mail address, hopefully Jay's post will help out a lot of people.

Offline Ripta

• Master Jedi
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 06:26:54 PM »
When I first used the CPanel, I had thought "here" was refering to the current page being displayed, i.e. CPanel's home. You'd think that a company like them who has a somewhat large userbase (or at least I've seen many many hosting companies that offer CPanel) would have a usertest before releasing their software.

I visited CPanel's website, but they didn't have a "suggestion box". But then, they would probably get a load of emails on this. :) Anyways...
GetAFreelancer! (This service is not affiliated with Lunarpages)

Offline Boris

• Master Jedi
    • http://www.phantomflow.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 01:06:08 PM »
BinaryBlue:

The "suggestion box" is placed in their forums. I have talked to them about it as well on the forums as an idea for next release.
Questions on graphics? Visit the lunarpages Graphics forum!

Bugging Danielle daily since 2003.

Have a Lunar Day!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Über Jedi
    • Lunarpages Web Hosting
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 01:07:22 PM »
Wow, luffly post.

As stephan indicated, cpanel is a third party script.  They've already been notified of this problem and how displeased we and our customers are with this.

Thank you, Jay, for posting this.  I'm sure it will help many people who are confussed by it.

Offline Ripta

• Master Jedi
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 01:13:08 PM »
Quote from: Boris
BinaryBlue:

The "suggestion box" is placed in their forums. I have talked to them about it as well on the forums as an idea for next release.

Oh! That makes sense. :P
GetAFreelancer! (This service is not affiliated with Lunarpages)

Offline mscnts

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 02:05:21 PM »
Oh sure.. I figured out the 'here' was a link.. but couldn't figure why I had to update my addy when I was receiving notes from Lunarpages without any issues.  I sent a direct email to support@lunarpages.com with this text copied in, asking why it was there.. no reply.. I sent it many times.. no reply.. so said 'fine' and simply followed the 'here' link and updated.  I'm here with another question when I saw this thread... *sigh*

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 02:26:47 PM »
I thought that we were supposed to notify support@lunarpages.com of our contact address, and that the cpanel contact was not useful. Also, the 'here' color in cPanel is slightly different from the rest of the text, albeit not enough.

btw, underline links are out of fashion these days, especially with the use of CSS. Of course, it would make sense to make the text and hyperlink colors different from each other. Even then, a lot of sites are moving away from blue hyperlinks too. I guess some people say that they should all be the same color. That's probably what they said when manufacterers produced the first cars that weren't black. :D
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love:

Danielle

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 09:30:18 PM »
Hi mscnts,

As TranzNDance noted, the contact email in Cpanel isn't currently linked to our customer base system, so changing the contact email in Cpanel really doesn't do much right now. We are working on linking the 2 systems (which is difficult since the billing and customer record base is our software while Cpanel is that of another company), but for right now you would contact support@lunarpages.com about any changes.

I am relatively worried when you say you sent an email directly to us and received no reply. We reply within approximately 3-6 hours or less. Could you forward a copy of the email or emails sent to us with the full headers so I can see the address you sent to as well as look for the emails in our system? I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Please note you can send a ticket using http://helpdesk.lunarpages.com

Thanks

Offline mscnts

• Spacescooter Operator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 07:12:50 AM »
Hi Miraenda.. well, I just had a good laugh.. I found my 'sent' notes and was setting up to show the headers when I noticed the 'to' address:
suppor@lunarpages.com   no "t"!!!  sheesh.. but it never bounced back to me, and therefore each time I sent it, and typed "supp..." when it populated I just hit send without noticing that each time it was populating with an incorrect addy!!!  lol
I was puzzled as Lunarpages has *always* responded... sheesh....

This is what it looked like:

----- Original Message -----
To: suppor@lunarpages.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 6:39 AM
Subject: CPanel

I guess you guys don't check your catchall email either?  I'm surprised it didn't bounce back.. *oy vay*   :wink:

Thanks for your help!
Stacey <= with a 't'  lol

Offline melowout

Just a note: as of this date - nothing has changed.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 08:41:58 AM »
Quote from: BlakeEHSO
Wow!  This is PROFOUNDLY dumb.  It's taken me an absurd amount of time to find out how to change the contact email address, all because Lunarpages doesn't abide by a universal convention to make hyperlinks in blue and underlined.  Rather than continue to confuse your customers, how about just makoing the word "here" in blue and underlined?  I mean, DUH! - otherwise is looks like plain text.

Aside from this moronic move, everything else has been first rate, but since this is there very first thing a newbie to Lunarpages encounters, common sense says FIX IT!!!!!

Blake,  appalled at this.....

Offline melowout

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 08:43:34 AM »

all because Lunarpages doesn't abide by a universal convention to make hyperlinks in blue and underlined. Rather than continue to confuse your customers, how about just makoing the word "here" in blue and underlined? I mean, DUH! - otherwise is looks like plain text.

As of this date - nothing has changed, and without a 'search' option, you just have to keep going through each forum - and wallah!  I just found it!

Danielle

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2005, 10:40:15 AM »
Hi melowout,

As stated throughout this thread, cPanel not Lunarpages sets the color for the control panel.  In fact, everything in cPanel is set by cPanel.  If the color of the here link is confusing, please go to the cPanel site at www.cpanel.net and visit their forum there to voice your concerns.  We told them at the time and I am certain other hosts and customers likely have as well.  We cannot do anything to change how they setup the color as it is their script other than providing feedback to them about the issue, which we have done.

Thanks for taking the route of getting the input recognized by contacting them yourself as well (as each individual who contacts them along with each webhost, the more they will make a change to how it is done).

Have a Blessed Day

Offline TranzNDance

• Princess of Naboo
  • Berserker Poster
    • Thu Tu's Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2005, 10:47:07 AM »
It's not lunarpages that designs cpanel. Cpanel is a third-party application.

(note to self: refresh before posting. :P )
:whip: :love: :whip: :love: :whip: :love: