Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: How To: Set Up A Mailing List  (Read 12609 times)

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
How To: Set Up A Mailing List
« on: January 04, 2004, 12:19:43 AM »
Hi there,

So you want to set up a mailing list?  This How To: will guide you through the basics.  Initially, I have only included the basic installation guide.  I will then open this forum up to you all - ask questions and I will get them answered and added to this first post.

STEP ONE:

STEP TWO:
Click on the 'Mailing Lists' option and then click 'Add Mailing List'

STEP THREE:

Enter your details:
    LIST NAME: - mylistname
    PASSWORD: - listpassword
    DOMAIN: - domainforlist (drop down menu)
    [/list:u]
    Click 'Create' button

STEP FOUR:
    Click 'Go Back'.

Now click the 'Edit' option (to the right of the name of your mailing list)

STEP FIVE
    Enter the password for list in the 'List Administor Password' box

The settings should all be relatively straight forward as the software has descriptions throughout.

That's the basic setup.  Now rather than list all of the options and details, I'd rather you try this part, and then post any questions you have.  Want to know how to change something?  Post that question.  Want to know if something can be done? Post that question.  Any questions that are asked will have the answer posted in above.
      [/list:u]

WARNING: A mailing list, unfortunately comes with the problem of possibly causing spam complaints.  This especially appears to be an issue with AOL users, who are often all too keen to hit that 'SPAM MAIL' button.  Take all possible precautions and be careful what you post.  The number one suggestion is to refuse to allow AOL addresses to be subscribed to your mailing list.
    <- From the ashes will rise a phoenix ->

Lunarpages Web Hosting || Lunarpages Forums || Lunarpages Affiliate Program

Offline Jwink3101

• Über Jedi
    • The one and only.
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 03:07:21 PM »
    how can i have my subscribers sign themselves from my site?

Also, is there an option to block *@aol.com address from signing up?

Offline donovanh

• Intergalactic Superstar
      • http://www.designni.com
    « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 06:00:21 AM »
    Hi,

Good intro the topic. Any ideas on how to implement a basic subscribe option using server side code?

My preference is PHP, but if you could explain how to do it in a non-language specific way that would possibly be better..

Thanks,

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
    « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 06:27:35 AM »
    Donovanh, are you looking to create a nice subscription page where users would input their details, and a script would automatically add them to your list?

If not, can you describe what you would like, how users interact with it, and what the outcome/result is.

I'm not a scripting guru by any means (or any guru for that matter  :) ), but I'll try my best.  :thumb:

Danielle

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 06:48:34 AM »
    Hush, I think you are Lunarforum's "How-to Guru"  :wink:

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
    « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 07:28:10 AM »
    Nah I just make long posts that could be made by any bot without a life  :poke:

Besides your the one who answers just about every question going.  I wonder how you come up with the information so often... You must be like a hosting lexicon by now  :D

2056 posts at this stage, you sure you're not a machine?

Danielle

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 08:29:45 AM »
    A hosting lexicon, that is a good one Hush, I'll have to remember that.  :thumb:

Now, as for a machine, I'm an alien so I'm not a machine.  I just bend time to be able to post so much. You guys really have no chance against me.  :wink:

Offline franci5

subscription page
    « Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 07:07:43 PM »
    I'm not Donovanh, but I would like see how to "create a nice subscription page where users would input their details, and a script would automatically add them to your list".

Quote from: Hush
    Donovanh, are you looking to create a nice subscription page where users would input their details, and a script would automatically add them to your list?

If not, can you describe what you would like, how users interact with it, and what the outcome/result is.

I'm not a scripting guru by any means (or any guru for that matter  :) ), but I'll try my best.  :thumb:

Offline Hush

• Über Jedi
    « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 07:13:02 PM »
    Franci5, its a new experiment on me, but I have some free time on Sunday, so I am gonna try to sort that one out.  If I do, I'll post the information up ASAP  :thumb:

Offline franci5

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 07:24:44 PM »
    Thanks, Hush.

Offline donovanh

• Intergalactic Superstar
      • http://www.designni.com
    « Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 07:39:07 AM »
    Hush,

Yes, I was going to simplify the mailing list signup a little, just having a email box and subscribe button on the sidebar of my site. The script would then send the e-mail address to the mailing list software. I'm not sure how it expects the data, but i suppose a form could be set up to contain hidden fields for any extra data it needs.

The main two points i'd need to know would be where to send this form data (<form action="what?">) and how to specify a custom "thank you you've just signed up" page...

Thanks,

Addition: One extra consideration may be to have a "unsubscribe / subscribe" radio button to choose whether to add or remove an address.

Offline astroscout7

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 09:12:19 AM »
    Hello everyone,

Has anyone figured out how to setup an html mailing list page where people can add their name and email address and submit it to a mailing list db?  Is there code somewhere on lunarpages that I can copy and paste with minimal editing?

uh ... basically, I think I am trying to do the same thing donovanh is!

a7

Offline gajones

• Trekkie
    « Reply #12 on: February 28, 2004, 07:29:46 PM »
    Quote from: astroscout7
    Hello everyone,

Has anyone figured out how to setup an html mailing list page where people can add their name and email address and submit it to a mailing list db?  Is there code somewhere on lunarpages that I can copy and paste with minimal editing?

a7

try Dada Mail.... it's free!

http://mojo.skazat.com/

Offline fhouse

"annouce-only" lists
    « Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 06:39:39 PM »
    It's seems to me there are a ton of "announce-only" lists that only require members to send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" subject line emails. Furthermore, there is no concept of logging in, passwords, or anything other than receiving notification emails. I am trying to setup this basic type of list and have encountered the following problems:

1. If I choose to have a welcome message, it contains a ton of information regarding passwords, URLs, etc. I want a customized welcome message that doesn't say much more than hello.

2. When I send messages to my mailing list, the members receive messages from "listname-bounces@domain.com". I just want it to come from "listname@domain.com"

3. A passwords is required to unsubscribe!!!

Can anyone help?

Offline Rocknrob

• Spacescooter Operator
      • http://www.hottestwebdesigns.com
    « Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 04:18:12 PM »
    3. A passwords is required to unsubscribe!!!

You really don't want this.  I have had those before and can never remember password to unsubscribe.  I end up hating them and block em.  It is a very unfriendly way to leave a subscription I think!

I have never had any hack in and remove me from a list, unless this password thing prevents hackers in the first place?  That I wouldn't know.