Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: GMP PHP is not installed  (Read 345 times)

Offline greylin

• Spacescooter Operator
  • Here on behalf of a small Scottish charity
GMP PHP is not installed
« on: July 19, 2019, 06:03:55 AM »
Hi,

I have a basic shared hosting account on Elara. I'd like to install a phpBB extension that requires GMP but the pre installation checker can't detect GMP.  Can anyone tell me whether GMP is provided with LP hosting?

Many thanks,

Greylin

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: GMP PHP is not installed
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 09:01:53 AM »
It appears to be installed on my shared server M**** (I haven't tried using it, but it appears in phpinfo()). Is this something recent? My server is at PHP 7.2.19 -- perhaps yours hasn't been upgraded yet, or you forced it to a lower level? Perhaps the next step is to open a support ticket and see if it is supposed to be on your server soon?

I'm not sure why GMP (an extended precision library, also known as GNU MP) would be on a web server, or what use it would be (particularly for phpBB). It sounds like something that could suck up a lot of CPU cycles, and have a negative impact on other customers, so I'd be surprised if they installed it. I assume you aren't talking about some sort of library related to GIMP, the image processing application. That sounds more like something phpBB might use.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline greylin

• Spacescooter Operator
  • Here on behalf of a small Scottish charity
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
Thanks for checking. The phpbb extension is so that people can receive push notifications. I haven't been able to find another way to alert users to new topics.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
You might want to double-check what the phpBB library is using. I can't imagine why a "push" capability would need extended-precision mathematics. Perhaps bring it up with the author of the library -- maybe they left some math stuff in there by mistake, or it's listed under the wrong name?
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-