I've installed multisite Wordpress on my account, but I'm having trouble with getting the subdomains to work right. I've also posted this question on the WordPress forums, but I have a feeling that the problem may have to do with LunarPages handling of subdomains, rather than with WordPress configuration. So I'll ask you guys as well.
The story is as follows:
I've installed subdomain-type multisite WordPress. I then went to the the network admin panel of WordPress, and told it to create a new site, using a new subdomain of my primary domain. According to the WordPress documentation, this is all you need do. However, when I tried to visit the site directly, I got a DNS error, saying the site didn't exist. Similarly, from within Wordpress, when I tried to go to the Dashboard of that new site, I got that same DNS error.
I then went to the LunarPages cPanel, and asked LunarPages to create the specific subdomain of interest. It created a new folder in my public_html, and apparently updated the DNS's. When I told my webbrowser to go to the subdomain, I got an Apache, "empty website error". So I put an index.html file in the subdomain folder, navigated again to the webbrowser, and was given the contents of the html file.
I went back to Wordpress, and tried again to visit the Dashboard for the new site/subdomain. This time, rather than a DNS error, I got a file not found error.
My thinking is this: Wordpress appears to expect subdomains to be mapped to the base public_html folder, so that Wordpress can deal with these requests itself. However, LunarPages has directed the DNS's to respond to subdomain requests with subfolders. Thus, when someone asks for a subdomain, they're sent to the subfolder, cutting WordPress out of the loop.
I think I need a way to alter LunarPages subdomain redirection protocol.