Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: experience with Lunarpages  (Read 1370 times)

Offline joshuapatel

experience with Lunarpages
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:59:21 PM »
I've been with Lunarpages for years and generally have had pretty good service however that all went to pot over the last few months.

The whole saga started when I received an email from them stating that my site had been compromised by malware and as a precaution they had disabled access to my sites. Shit. Well, things happen. So I start investigating only to find out that not only are my sites down but so is my cPanel and email... my entire account is locked out. So I put in a web support ticket and wait... and wait... and wait.. after 24 hours I'm fed up and call them directly to find out WTF is going on. Long story short, support confirms that my account was hosting malware and sends me a list of infected scripts.

Another few hours to get cPanel access back and I can start investigating. I verify checksums on all files against local backups and they're all byte for byte identical. I question support and ask for more details of the infection and they send me a snippet of code that is apparently malware. Nope, that's definitely a base64 encoded wordpress settings blob, definitely not malware. I suggest that support try decoding the blob and seeing for themselves that it is certainly not malicious. Support then replys to inform me that they have disabled all scripts and changed the file permissions. WTF!? Start another ticket and wait 48 hours before I receive a reply on that one.

Long story short, my websites were down for close to 4 days, my users had no email for over 5 days, and I spent countless hours on this chasing my tail all because their support team is incompetent. My sites were only re-enabled after I demanded that the support tickets be escalated to a supervisor to review. And after I complained to their customer relations department, provided the whole chain of tickets to review and whatnot, they offer $5.00 in compensation for my troubles.

Wow. Just wow.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: experience with Lunarpages
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:57:45 AM »
I can certainly sympathize with your frustrations about support at LP. I too have had a couple extended run-ins with them, although not quite of the seriousness you experienced. I get the feeling that their first-line support has been offshored to Mumbai or something (please don't take offense, Mr. Patel -- most of the names are Indian, so that's my conclusion) and they're insufficiently trained and just working off scripts. For very routine work they're probably OK, but they're quickly in over their heads.

In this specific case, it sounds like LP is routinely scanning for possible malware (as well as back levels of applications) and got a false positive on your Wordpress installation. I would assume that there is a whitelist of known safe base64 usages to avoid flagging, but this one somehow got by. Was this a very recent WP update (not yet in their list), or code you had modified (and didn't match their template), or even very old code (that they didn't realize was still in use)? I would hope that they would be automatically alerted to multiple hits of the same occurrence, so they can quickly check that it's legit and can add it to the whitelist, and rescan blocked accounts. Maybe not. Let's hope their procedures get updated with every unpleasantness like this, so the same thing doesn't happen over and over, and customers are minimally inconvenienced. For starters, supply the code they flagged in an email, rather than having the customer have to guess. It's not a bad thing that they're looking around for malware, but it's not being handled correctly when they think they've found some. Certainly, blocking control panel access isn't good.

The moral of the story is: "Don't hesitate to quickly escalate to a supervisor if you feel like you're getting the runaround." The supervisors seem to be pretty competent and can usually fix things quickly. There just aren't enough of them to take care of first-line support duties.

You might want to post something in Review and Feedback, which has a better chance of Management seeing it (supposedly they read that area).
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline MichaelT

• Support
  • Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:57:52 PM »
Hello Mr. Patel,

I do apologize for any issues or delays our support team may have had in contacting you back via your ticket. If you have not already done so, I would encourage you to send your comments and concerns to our Feedback Department by sending an email to feedback@lunarpages.com. Be sure to include the ticket number so that we are referencing the correct information and account. We can then have someone review the matter further for you.

Offline EricSanders

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 05:03:54 AM »
Four days?  That's nothing.  My ordering system has been down for THREE WEEKS!  No headway on my escalated ticket.  I've been with LunarPages for probably 15 years and pretty happy with them.  I'm not sure what happened, but I don't think I will be renewing with them.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 06:25:33 AM »
Three weeks is an awfully long time to be hanging. Is this issue something that definitely can only be handled by tech support? I notice that you have no posts asking for help with whatever the issue is. Wouldn't it be absurd to find out it was some simple little thing you could fix in 5 minutes?

If escalating the ticket has not brought any response in weeks, it would be time to escalate further. Try a complaint in Review and Feedback, or email to feedback. If support has been working with you, but not making headway, consider opening a topic in the appropriate support area to see if anyone else knows how to deal with whatever the problem is.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline EricSanders

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 09:32:09 AM »
You're right MrPhil.  I should have reached out sooner, but I actually didn't even know about the forum until recently.
I had been waiting on an email with an update on my ticket as that was how I was getting correspondence before.  Oddly enough, when I replied to the tech support email, my email would bounce....
    host spam-fw01.lunarpages.com [74.50.26.124]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<support@lunarpages.com>:
    550-The sender 67.210.126.110 is in a black list rbl.baruwa.net -
    550 https://spam-fw01.lunarpages.com/info#rbl.baruwa.net

..so I logged into Lunar Pages to check on my ticket and it looks like they found out what the trouble was on the 6th.  So I guess it was only a bit over two weeks instead of three. 
The problem ended up being they no longer allow .php scripts to run out of the cgi-bin folder.  Unfortunately, that location is hard coded into my software's ordering utility as well as customer support utility so it will take some time for this issue to fix itself as people upgrade to the new software version.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:38:12 PM »
If your emails to support got bounced as spam, it's likely that emails to others (like your customers) are also bouncing! This should be addressed immediately by... wait for it... opening a support ticket. Usually something happened to get your entire mail server on a spam blacklist, and LP needs to take steps to clear that server from the spam blacklist (which is maintained by Third Parties). By the way, it's a good idea to register a second, non-LP email (e.g., gmail.com) to your account, so that if you lose your LP account site email, you can still communicate with support.

As for PHP not being allowed to run from cgi-bin, that's an unusual problem, as I've never heard of anyone in recent decades trying to run PHP from there. Whoever is responsible for maintaining your system should be able to move your code to public_html/ or a directory below it, and adjust the code to the new path. It shouldn't be rocket science, just tedious. You may also need to rewrite URLs from the old path to the new.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline joshuapatel

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
I've been with Lunarpages for years and generally have had pretty good service however that all went to pot over the last few months.

The whole saga started when I received an email from them stating that my site had been compromised by malware and as a precaution they had disabled access to my sites. Shit. Well, things happen. So I start investigating only to find out that not only are my sites down but so is my cPanel and email... my entire account is locked out. So I put in a web support ticket and wait... and wait... and wait.. after 24 hours I'm fed up and call them directly to find out WTF is going on. Long story short, support confirms that my account was hosting malware and sends me a list of infected scripts.

Another few hours to get cPanel access back and I can start investigating. I verify checksums on all files against local backups and they're all byte for byte identical. I question support and ask for more details of the infection and they send me a snippet of code that is apparently malware. Nope, that's definitely a base64 encoded wordpress settings blob, definitely not malware. I suggest that support try decoding the blob and seeing for themselves that it is certainly not malicious. Support then replys to inform me that they have disabled all scripts and changed the file permissions. WTF!? Start another ticket and wait 48 hours before I receive a reply on that one.Xvideos Xnxx Chaturbate

Long story short, my websites were down for close to 4 days, my users had no email for over 5 days, and I spent countless hours on this chasing my tail all because their support team is incompetent. My sites were only re-enabled after I demanded that the support tickets be escalated to a supervisor to review. And after I complained to their customer relations department, provided the whole chain of tickets to review and whatnot, they offer $5.00 in compensation for my troubles.

Wow. Just wow.

my issue has been solved!!