Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Possible to automatically route Lunarpages email account mail to Thunderbird?  (Read 238 times)

Offline LunarTunes

Is it possible to have emails that get sent to an email account (set up through Lunar Pages) to get automatically sent to my local Thunderbird program and then automatically deleted off the Lunar Pages server once successfully delivered to Thunderbird on my computer?
I am having problems with Spectrum sometimes not delivering my alias emails (set up through Lunarpages). I can track delivery of these emails with the Lunarpages tracking tool. It's always a failure on Spectrum's end. I've tried to get this resolved through Spectrum but they have no solutions. I even tested having the emails get delivered to a Lunarpages set up account and they get delivered just fine. So it's a Spectrum problem. But I want to use Thunderbird to receive emails. Is this possible?

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
I'm not quite clear here on what your setup is, or where you're experiencing the problem. I have a Spectrum (Time Warner) mail account that I connect to with Thunderbird. When I connect (POP3 protocol, I think), I have to click "Get Messages" and then all my new mail is downloaded to T-bird on my PC. Does that work OK for you? Then I have a bunch of email accounts on my LP account and site which are configured to automatically download (POP3 again?) to T-bird when I connect. Is that where you're having the trouble? The only place that Spectrum is involved is providing the pipe to connect my PC to (via the Internet) LP. I've never had trouble (that I'm aware of) with Spectrum losing mails, although I did recently have an outage where mail didn't get through for a day or two. Have you had this problem long enough that it's not simply a temporary glitch? I could probably configure my Spectrum account (in T-bird) to automatically download, like the others, but haven't bothered to yet.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline LunarTunes

Spectrum emails get sent to Thunderbird on my computer. Certain alias emails just get blocked from some senders every time. I know that Spectrum is blocking them because the tracking reports from Lunarpages shows the failure.

It would be great if I could just bypass Spectrum, having emails go straight to Thunderbird on my PC.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
So these are emails originating on your LP-hosted site, or originating elsewhere (sent to your site?)? Can you find any consistency in email address names, subject lines, or content that might be tripping a spam filter at Spectrum? You've checked that you don't have any forwarding set up for these addresses, and they're just accumulating somewhere else?

I don't know when or why Spectrum's email service would get involved (e.g., filtering for spam) with an LP-based email address being accessed from your PC via T-bird. I wouldn't think it would go through there at all, so I'm puzzled as to why you think Spectrum is the culprit here. Or am I not understanding how you've explained the problem?

If I'm not understanding it, perhaps you could list the combinations that work and those that are failing:
  • originating on your LP site, sent to an address on Spectrum
  • originating in the outside world, sent to an address on your LP site
  • originating in the outside world, sent to an address on Spectrum
Visit My Site

E-mail Me

Offline LunarTunes

I create alias emails through the Lunarpages control panel. Then I have them forwarded to my ____@roadrunner.com email address. Usually I have no problem receiving these forwarded emails on Thunderbird.

The ones that consistently failed to arrive were anything from GunBroker.com as well as replies to posts on MarketWatch that I subscribe to. I checked the spam folder on RoadRunner's cloud email server. Nothing there. Again I can track these failed emails through the Lunarpages control panel ("tracking").

Example:
Event: Failure
Result: ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256 CV=no: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 552 5.2.0 ESMTP server temporarily unabailable AUP#I-1510

I tested having these emails sent to an email account set up via Lunarpages (instead of forwarding to roadrunner). Then they start arriving just fine. The problem arises when forwarded to my ____@roadrunner.com email address.

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
These emails (addressed to your LP site) successfully arrive at LP, but when you try to forward them to Spectrum, they always vanish? I suppose that could also be LP failing to forward them, rather than Spectrum not handling them (don't count on LP's diagnostics). I don't think either party would dare (in the US, anyway) block a gun-related site, but why would anyone block MarketWatch? Could either of these emails always contain something that looks like spam? If you haven't done so already, I think you're going to have to take this up with LP support (open a ticket) to see if they're blocking as spam outbound. If you're getting other email forwarded, it's unlikely that the entire LP server is blacklisted as a spammer. Can Spectrum tell you for a fact that they are receiving nothing for the forwarded emails (placing the problem with LP)? Finally, you've gone over your mail setup on LP and Spectrum with a fine-toothed comb, and there are no old remailers, filters, or forwarders that you forgot about?

If you can't fix it this way, at the least you can still receive them on your LP site, fire up T-bird to read them onto your PC, and autodelete them from LP. That should be easily done.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me