Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Fireworks Blowout! - See Exciting Details Inside (no poll)  (Read 11641 times)

Danielle

Fireworks Blowout! - See Exciting Details Inside (no poll)
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2003, 01:40:08 PM »
Also, what is sniping? I've never done anything on eBay (I don't need another addictive activity in my life), so I'm not familiar with the term.

Offline mark363

• Über Jedi
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2003, 01:43:03 PM »
It's when you bid for the first time on an auction at the last minute. This is good because you don't raise the price bidding back and forth between 2 or more people days before the auction ends... instead, take them by surprise and win the auction at a cheaper price. Programs like esnipe will connect to your account and bid at the last second on the auctions you specify. Very helpful for those who don't have enough free time (or if the auction ends around 3 AM your time).

leighsww

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2003, 02:09:40 PM »
Quote from: Miraenda
Well, I actually take a different view. Why not learn the newest technology if you can?

That's definitely a good view.  I agree with you, but if it suits the person's needs and is what the person can afford.  I always look at the situation at hand, and the pros and cons of it.

I've spent thousands of dollars on software in the past and practically own every piece out there. I upgrade to latest versions ONLY if the upgrade is going to benefit what I can make use of.  Sometimes, I don't upgrade because it will not serve any major benefit to what I'm already doing.

Like some software's upgrades are just that they added an FTP program so that you can upload the files to the server directly, added more to the 3D rendering features, etc.  Since I already use WS_FTP and would not need that function, and since I don't do 3D work, that wouldn't be a need, so in those cases, upgrading would be a waste of money for me.

Thus, I look at the situation at hand and if it will prove to be a major benefit and worthwhile to spend the money, then I'll buy the newest version.

In mussavcom's case, I saw "cost" as his major factor, so for the price and for what he can do with it (because Fireworks 3 can still do much of what he needs for the Photo editing, website graphics manipulation, slicing, etc.) that was a good deal for him (aside from the deal he will get from you, of course  :) ).  

I have Photoshop, Corel Photo Paint and Fireworks and I have used all (but favor Photoshop and Corel Photo Paint).  I would have told mussavcom to go with Photoshop, however when I looked at all the prices on eBay, they were well out of his reach. Even the newer versions of Fireworks on eBay where somewhat expensive for him, so I figured Fireworks 3 for that price will do the job.  :)

*edited - Anyway, all is solved, because he will get the latest version for you now, anyhow.  Everybody happy? :)

Danielle

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2003, 02:17:41 PM »
Yes, I actually did take price into account when recommending Fireworks, since I considered Photoshop before I made the recommendation but found it to be too expensive as the educational versions of both differ significantly in price.  Whereas Fireworks MX 2004 costs $99-$119 (depending on where you purchase it) for the educational version, Photoshop costs $199-$249 for the education one.  I have both of them, and actually use Fireworks more b/c it integrates with Dreamweaver. The thing to note, however, is that he is a student, so he can get the education priced ones.  He doesn't have to pay the overpriced regular cost.  I think that $30 for Fireworks 3 is overpriced when you can get Fireworks MX 2004 for $99 as a student.

Danielle

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2003, 02:25:59 PM »
leighsww, I'm not sure that he wants my copy, though, since he hasn't told me he does. He might have already purchased the other one, since I hear those eBay auctions are addictive (thank goodness I haven't ever done them or I wouldn't have enough time to spend here doing important stuff).

leighsww

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2003, 02:30:03 PM »
Hmmm.  I doubt that he would buy the eBay version if he can get the lastest version from you for FREE with only having to pay shipping.

You'll probably hear back from him later.  :thumb:

Danielle

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2003, 02:35:39 PM »
Yeah, not to mention the fact that what copy he would be getting is slightly different than what I said, since when I made the offer I didn't even think that it isn't just Fireworks.  He would actually get Macromedia Studio MX (Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash, Freehand, and Coldfusion).  It is too expensive to purchase Fireworks, Dreamweaver, and Flash separately (the only 3 of the programs I use), so I always get Studio.

Offline Jwink3101

• Über Jedi
  • The one and only.
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2003, 05:12:17 PM »
Can we use PS  if we want

Danielle

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2003, 05:17:08 PM »
Jwink, somehow I knew you were going to be the one to ask me that...

I used Fireworks for mine, but since you have to convert them to jpg to view online (rather than keeping them as a psd, png, or whatever format the graphics application uses by default), it is fine whatever program you use.  We'll all just pretend you did it in Fireworks.  :)

Offline Jwink3101

• Über Jedi
  • The one and only.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2003, 05:20:16 PM »
Yah, i can picture me being the one to ask.

I have PS, Fireworks, and Paint Shop Pro (PSP).  I like PS the most followed by PSP. I use Fireworks for image pop-up menues but never knew it could do other stuff too. Cool.

Happy New Year

Danielle

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2003, 05:22:31 PM »
Happy New Years to you, too  :D

Offline sharpandpointless

• Jabba the Hutt
    • http://www.gpathmedia.com
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2003, 05:24:37 PM »
Have any of you heard of Open Canvas?
Cheap, new version came out recently I think, search it on the web.
Heres an example of what some people did with it.
http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/index.asp
Yeah check it out!!!
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2003, 05:26:11 PM »
Oh by the way in some aspects its simplicity kicks the other programs butts...
Too bad im still in the Photoshop/Fireworks mood for life.
Because im lazy...
with mad skills u can use OC to create some mad pictures...
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com

Danielle

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2003, 05:29:38 PM »
s&p, that program is pretty darn cool.  With it having the flower depicted on the homepage, of course, I am won over instantly. I am going to have to check them out when I get the chance.  Thanks a lot for posting that link.   :yey:

• Jabba the Hutt
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2003, 05:33:49 PM »
Hehe no problem... my friend found out about OC when he was talking to some tablet users on MIRC... (tablet being a graphics tablet input device for the computer, not the drug kind...)
He and others I talked to couldn't say enough good things about the program...
I agree when I tried it... I think its around 50 bucks, a few hundred less than others, easy to use, fast, and very cool.
After reading what I just read I think I advertised it...
Oops oh well good program nonetheless.
Have a wonderful day!
www.gpathmedia.com