Lunarpages Web Hosting Forum

Author Topic: Uploading Adobe Muse site to FTP  (Read 4200 times)

Offline hammyinc

Uploading Adobe Muse site to FTP
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:00:13 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to these forums, but I've been using Lunarpages hosting for several years and plan to continue.

The What: I'm finishing up a new website for my business in Adobe Muse to replace my old (and I mean old) currently hosted by Lunarpages. I know I need to uninstall the old site. It's so dated I'm not sure I want to back it up but will likely just in case. 
My Question: Anyone had experience uploading Muse to Lunar's FTP...particularly if replacing an old site? If so, I was looking for any tips before pushing it over.

Just in case FYI: Muse allows uploading to third-parties. Adobe Forums deal with several different hosts so I wanted to pinpoint it more to this one. Thanks!

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
Re: Uploading Adobe Muse site to FTP
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:22:46 PM »
I have no experience with Muse, but from its description it sounds like a WYSIWYG site builder in the vein of FrontPage/Expression Web, Dreamweaver, CoffeeCup, PageMason, etc. If you have an existing site, you should probably be on the safe side and completely remove the old site, so that there's no leftover junk that might interfere with the new site. Other than that, I presume that they include instructions for how to upload to a hosting provider such as LP.

By the way, you will not be uploading "to" FTP. FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is just a method for moving files between your PC and your hosting (site). Muse will need your server address, account ID, and password, and should be able to take it from there.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline hammyinc

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:36:46 AM »
Thank you, MrPhil. I've developed and managed several websites, but that's on the design/content /CMS side. Developer always uploaded to hosting, so I'm a newbie at that aspect.

Muse, which you may know, is similar to Wix where it codes for you. Mine is completely customized and very simple. Here's a development link should you desire to view it: https://httphaminc-4.businesscatalyst.com/index.html

Couple of last questions, if you don't mind. I'm replacing a WordPress site. Similar to my original question, are there any idiosyncracies/complexities tied to removing WP? I wouldn't think so, since it's an easy platform. I love WP and plan to eventually migrate to it, but I need to get this one up pronto for some self-promo opportunities I have coming up.

Thanks again for your prompt response and advice!

Offline MrPhil

• Senior Moderator
  • Berserker Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:20:52 AM »
If you don't want to preserve any data, you can simply erase all files and the database that WP was using. I would preserve a backup somewhere, in case you ever might want to get some of that data. It can be a download to your PC, or just move everything to an archive directory on your site (and preserve the database).

It's a bit curious that you would be leaving WP (a very capable content management system) to go to a static page website system, which is far less capable. If you don't have the time or inclination to learn to develop a site with WP, I suppose that's an option.
Visit My Site

E-mail Me
-= From the ashes shall rise a sooty tern =-

Offline hammyinc

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 04:15:58 AM »
Thanks again. Time is the big factor, but I'm examining converting to WP before launching this site. One primary factor is I have quite a bit of experience with WP CMS, so thanks for helping me do a rethink here.